The Orange County Coalition for Diversity in the Law (OCCDL) is a collaborative effort of professionals from leading Orange County law firms and other community partners committed to achieving cultural diversity in recruiting and retaining law students and attorneys in Orange County.
How it Began
In 2004, the managing partners and office administrators of several major Orange County firms initiated an effort to address the increasing need for firms to:
- Share best practices regarding recruiting and retention of diverse attorneys
- Promote Orange County legal practice
- Provide a forum for our diverse attorneys in Orange County to share their experiences
From these basic concepts, the Orange County Diversity Task Force was created. In 2014, the group’s name was changed from Orange County Diversity Task Force to the Orange County Coalition for Diversity in the Law, to more clearly reflect the long-standing commitment of the legal community to this effort. The group consists of Orange County law firms and other community partners dedicated to increasing diversity in the legal profession in Orange County.
OCCDL holds numerous programs throughout the year which explore all aspects of diversity within the legal profession.
- Our annual UCI Panel on Legal Careers, an event co-sponsored by the University of California, Irvine, includes panelists from diverse backgrounds that currently practice law in the Orange County area. The program is designed to give both undergraduate and law students information on the wide variety of professional opportunities available to diverse lawyers in Orange County.
- We host an annual mixer to give law students the opportunity to network with attorneys from member firms, as well as a program targeted at first-year associates providing information on how to succeed once they have started at their firms.
- We partner annually with the Public Law Center to provide clinic training to 70-100 summer associates.
- We support pipeline initiatives, including Project SELF (OC Bar Foundation), Saturday Academy of Law (UCI) and Pre-Law Outreach Program (UCI School of Law).
- OCCDL partners with several affinity groups in Orange County to sponsor events throughout the year:
- Asian American Bar Association
- Iranian American Bar Association
- Hispanic Bar Association
- Korean American Bar Association
- Lavender Bar Association (since inception)
- Black Leadership Advancement Coalition
- Women’s Lawyers’ Association
Please review our events planned for this year and join us!